One of the best musical instruments that can ever be mastered by a human being is the violin. When learned properly, it can be used to produce some of the most melodious sounds that can ever be presented in an orchestra.
In spite of being one of the most beautiful instruments ever to be created by mankind, mastering the art of playing a violin can be really a difficult job. This is because it requires a lot of training, practice and patience at the same time. Like any stringed instrument, music can be created by plucking of the strings in a violin. However, a great deal of emphasis must also be laid on the movement of the bow in a violin.
The Basic Steps Necessary for Playing the Violin
The bow hair must be properly tightened with the help of turning the screw at the end in a clockwise manner, until and unless you find the middle space to be large enough for a pencil to harmlessly pass through.
- Never make a gauge out of your pinky finger, as it can transfer the body oil from your skin and make it highly difficult for the rosin to be properly adhered.
- Always make a not to prevent loosening the bow hair after you have finished playing.
When you are using a new violin, and you are a novice to this art, then have a teacher rosin the violin for you. You must also keep in mind to apply fresh amount of rosin depending upon the frequency of your practice on the violin.
- Primarily, the bow must be tightened in a normal manner.
- Next, the rosin must be properly applied at least three to four times around the entire body of the bow. However, make sure that you do not apply too much of rosin on the bow, as it can result in the production of an abrasive sound.
- When you are using the rosin for the first time, and you have failed to apply sufficient amount of rosin on it, then, the strings will not be gripped properly enough to make any vibration or sound at all even when the piano is being played.
Make sure that you place the index finger on the portion in the clutch amidst the first and second knuckle.
- The tip of your pinky must be carefully placed on the flat part of the tip of the bow. Make sure it is lightly curved in this process. The remaining fingers must be placed at equivalent distanced from the similar edge. The person’s ring finger must be properly placed on the fog side.
- The thumb should always be placed below the stick. It must be placed in front of frog with the proper bow hair below it.
- The primary joint of the human thumb ought to be placed in an oblique manner. The thumb if straightened will produce a pitiable tone. However, make sure that the bow is not gripped to tightly as it won’t help you to use it freely on the violin.
- The hand when gripped must be comfortable and loose, make sure that it is held in a rounded way but it must also not be dropped. This process requires practice and takes time to master.
The violin must be raised up to your collar bone, with the full support of your arm and secured in a proper position with the help of your jaw.
- Care should be taken that the jaw is always rested on the chin rest of the violin. The vital weight of the violin is supported by your arm and the chin rest with your head placed in a relaxed manner will help you to prevent the instrument from sliding off.
- When playing the violin, make sure that you hold it in such a way that the strings are almost parallel to the ground and also the scroll should always point straight forward instead of downward. The left hand must always be gripped at the base of the neck of the violin and be sure that all your fingers especially the thumb is clearly visible, in a relaxed and smooth manner.
- The thumb base should not touch the violin along with your wrist.
- The left arm should always grip the right side of the violin in such a way that your elbow must never be edged towards the left or away from the violin right side. A wrong arrangement like that can result in out of tune sounds from the violin.
It must be noticed that the bow is placed at a position on the violin that is halfway between the chin rest and the finger board. Practice tilting the bow slightly towards the scroll while playing in order to give out a professional sound when playing.
- The bow must be pulled in such a manner that it is quit parallel to the bridge. However, keep in mind that a sufficient amount of pressure must be applied in order to produce a good sound. However, don’t apply too much pressure as it can result in a scratchy result in terms of sound.
A great deal of emphasis must be laid on the practice in playing open strings.
- In this process, the arrangement goes in the way that you must place the left hand in such a way that the left thumb and the first finger must have a space in between on the neck. The bow must be held in the usual manner like the usage of shoulder, wrist and other contact points.
- The strings must be changed in order to bring the bow to the proper height by changing the position of the elbow. First, emphasis must be laid in the trial of short strokes about the size of six inches or so, in the middle portion of the bow. After this, half strokes can be done from the fog till the middle of the bow and then the process must be repeated.
- The fingers and also the wrist must be placed in such manner that they are completely flexible when playing on the frog portion of the violin. The transition must be made really smooth at the time of bow direction change with the help of a minute circular motion instead of an initiate and discontinue motion in the form of piston. The practice of changing from a single string to an additional string should be well practiced.
- Carry on practicing till the moment you can play a single string at a time without touching the additional strings.
The practice of playing the scales in a well designed arrangement must be well practiced. Ascending and descending in a prearranged outline of large as well as small steps. There is major C scale and it must be well noticed when playing the piano on the first note. Then efforts must be placed in playing the open string as well. For example, D, then E low with the help of the second finger can be practiced. There are many different scales like D, F, A major, etc.
- You must follow certain rules before you get to play these different scales. At the time when you are about to bow string, you must keep in mind that one finger must always be put at a time, you cannot simultaneously put two fingers at the same time. The ultimate achievement is relaxed output of sound which comes only when you are even with your work.
One of the fastest ways in which you can learn to play violin is to make sure that you practice every day. You can start with a practice session of at least fifteen minutes and then you can further increase it day by day or week by week. However, this strictly depends upon what is it that you ultimately desire. If you are practicing violin only as a hobby, then it is fine to practice for a short time but if you are really serious about it, then you need to devote at least one to two hours in violin practice.
- Now, each and every practice session should have a particular goal. At the end of this practice session you should have achieved the goal that you have set. Practicing violin in such a way will greatly increase your excellence as well as fluency in playing violin.
There are certain definite rules and strictures that must be followed in order to play violin. Keep in mind that if you love playing violin, it should never necessarily become a daily chore for you. Practice violin regularly and also set aside some time for your favorite music as well. Keep in mind that although you can start practicing violin yourself, it is always recommended that you appoint a private teacher, or join an orchestra or college university class, etc. in order to learn faster and smarter.